Affordable Care Act (ACA)
The Aleutian Pribilof Islands Association Health Department continues to work with partner agencies to stay aware of continued improvements and updates with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
Avoid tax penalties and fees
Assisting consumers in acquiring the minimum essential coverage (MEC) in accordance with the ACA is our priority. If a person fails to meet the MEC penalties will apply.
Purchase through the Health Insurance Marketplace:
Purchasing insurance can be done through the Health Insurance Marketplace or by calling 1-800-318-2596 during designated open enrollment periods.
Coverage can be obtained outside of Open Enrollment period if you have a qualifying life event. Check to see if you qualify to obtain during a Special enrollment period.
Local Assistance is available
APIA has staff available ready to assist our community members with gaining the necessary coverages.
- Assistance with navigating the Health Insurance Marketplace to and/or filing for an appropriate exemption.
- Apply for Medicaid/Denali Kidcare year around.
- Assistance with questions or concerns regarding Medicare.
Find a local assister by calling 2-1-1 or by going to Get Covered Alaska website.
Call 2-1-1 to get connected with information on the ACA or go to Alaska 211 website.
Are you a Tribal Member or Indian Health Service Beneficiary?
Two exemptions are available for Tribal Members and/or Indian Health Service Beneficiaries. The two qualifying exemptions are:
1. Indian exemption (those that are enrolled in a federally recognized Tribe and/or an ANCSA shareholder)
- Bureau of Indian Affairs- Certificate of Indian Blood (1-800-645-8465)
- Shareholder Identification cards from The Aleut Corporation (1-800-232-4882 or via email at email@example.com) or other ANCSA Corporation.
2. Hardship exemption (those that are eligible to receive services at Indian Health service facility but do not meet the requirements for “Indian”) Federally Recognized Tribal enrollment card-Contact local Tribal Government
Paper applications are available and can be mailed to the Health Insurance Marketplace. The exemption can also be claimed during the tax filing process by completing the IRS tax form 8965.