Urban Unangax̂ Culture Camp 2018
The Urban Unangax̂ (Aleut) Culture Camp will be held June 11 – 15 this summer at APIA’s central headquarters in Anchorage. This year marks the 11th year of the camp; a major milestone! The free one-of-a-kind camp is open to community members of all ages residing in the Greater Anchorage area and Alaska, however, participants are primarily of Unangax or Aleut descent.
Camp participant information:
- Youth, ages 11-18, attend daily from 9 am to 5pm. Youth choose 4 activities (listed below) and spend 2 -3 hours daily on each activity so that they can complete at least one art object during the week-long camp.
- Children, ages 0 to 10, attend daily from 9 am to 12 pm. Children rotate hourly between traditional foods, language, dance, and culturally relevant crafts/storytelling. Elders also spend time with children daily to share traditional stories, history, and family genealogy.
- Adults attend daily from 6pm to 9 pm. Adults may choose from a variety of art and cultural activities. Some adults attend during the daytime as well to participate in activities such as dance, language and traditional foods.
- Elder guests may attend anytime throughout the day.
- Carving: Teresa Smith & Daniel Shellikoff
- Jewelry making: Danielle Larsen
- Iqyax̂ (kayak) building, full-size: Marc Daniels
- Traditional Foods: Josy & Tim Shangin & Edna Floyd
- Genealogy: Marti Murray
- Visors: O. Patricia Lekanoff-Gregory
- Drums: M. Lydia Vincler
- Dance: Darling Anderson
- Headdress/ Regalia: Chyonne Buterin
- Basket Weaving: Sharron Kay
Saturday, June 16th at 12:00 pm at The Aleut Plaza on 4000 Old Seward Hwy.
Please note culture camp will only be held Monday—Friday this year. There are no classes on Sunday or Saturday! Also, transportation WILL NOT be provided to the Aleut Picnic as in the past. However, everyone is still welcome to attend the Aleut Picnic! Please bring a dish!
Please download the appropriate application! These application are fillable, so they do not need to be printed out in order to sign. Just check the boxes and send back!
Applications are due May 28th!
Please email, fax or deliver completed application to:
APIA-Urban Unangax̂ Culture Camp
1131 E. International Airport Rd.
Anchorage, AK 99518-1408
(907) 276-2700 phone / (907) 279-4351 fax