To know how to grow old is the master of wisdom,
and one of the most difficult chapters in the great art of living.
– Henri Frederic Amiel
ELDER NEWS AND EVENTS
2016 Tribal Eldercare Services Summit Information
On February 17th-19th, 2016, the Aleutian Pribilof Islands Association, Inc. and Eastern Aleutian Tribes hosted the 2016 Tribal Eldercare Services Summit in Anchorage, Alaska. This first ever of its kind summit, brought together Elders, community members, leaders and key stakeholders in Eldercare services from throughout Alaska and from a national Eldercare services perspective. The three day summit engaged participants in sharing best practices, networking amongst key stakeholders and ultimately produced tangible, action-oriented outcomes and community plans. The Aleutian and Pribilof Islands region of Alaska has numerous gaps in Eldercare services. This summit was planned to support the region in taking next steps to fill those gaps and ensure that the Elders and most valuable community members were supported, cared for and able to remain within their communities of choice.
In an effort to capture the outcomes, we would like to provide you with this Summit Outcomes document. This document will be used as a tool for further progress and also as a starting point for communities that were not able to attend the summit and are needing the same support in Eldercare throughout other regions of Alaska and our tribal nation.
- Caregiver Training
- Case Management Services
- Durable Medical Equipment
- Consumer Directed Personal Care Assistant (PCA) Services
- Respite Services
- Fall Prevention/Injury Prevention education, materials
- Medicare/Medicaid Assistance
- Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP)
- Monthly Elder Food Box
- Monthly Elder Teas and/or Potlucks
- Elder Transportation (Anchorage area)
- Elder Advocacy and Support
- Resource Assistance, Access Support
- Gatekeeper Training
- Older Adult Mental Health First Aid Training
REGIONAL ELDER DISCUSSION COMMITTEE
The Elder Program is currently facilitating and coordinating the Regional Elder Discussion Committee. This committee was vital in supporting the efforts of the 2016 Tribal Eldercare Services Summit and will continue to meet and is a critical component in:
- Sharing progress in the development of Eldercare services
- Sharing of Best Practices across communities
- Engaging communities
- Inspiring creativity and innovation in solutions
- Advocating on behalf of Elders
- Identifying needed resources
- Fostering partnerships among stakeholders
The following are the appointees for each tribe;
- Qagan Tayagunin – Tiffany Jackson
- Tribal Government of St. Paul – Olga Zacharof
- Belkofski Tribal Council – Tanna Lewis
- Pauloff Harbor Tribe – William Dushkin Sr.
- Akutan Tribal Council – Josephine Borenin
- Atka IRA Council – Crystal Dushkin
- Qawalangin Tribal Council – Harriet Berikoff
- False Pass Tribal Council – Nicole Hoblet
- St George Traditional Council – Sally Merculief
- Unga Tribal Council – Heather Thompson
- Agdaaguz Tribal Council – Rita Uttecht
**Appointees Yet to be Identified: Nikolski IRA Council, Nelson Lagoon Tribal Council
MEET OUR ELDER PROGRAM TEAM
Max Lestenkof, Patient Advocate
Max Lestenkof born on ST. George Island, Alaska. Working here at The Aleutian Pribilof Islands Association’s Health Department since 1999 as a Patients and Elders transportation and Advocate services. My goal each day is be compassionate and dedicated to the people I serve from our region. To help the elder patients and patient go through and understand their medical appointments, supporting and motivating their medical needs.
Ashley Withrow, Elder Program Coordinator
Ashley Withrow is a life-long Alaskan born and raised in Anchorage, with family originating in Nome, Alaska. Ashley is in the final stages of completeing her Bachelors of Science degree in Health Science with a psychology minor and has the intent to pursue a Master’s Degree in Public Health. She currently holds both an Associate of Arts degree and an Occupational Endorsement Certificate as a Direct Service Specialist. Ashley has worked in the Eldercare for 4 years and has a passion for the Gerontology field in a community health setting. In her spare time Ashley enjoys the outdoor life of fishing, hunting, berry picking and hiking with her husband, two sons and two dogs and attending and contributing to local community events.
Mary Jordan, RSVP Volunteer Coordinator
Mary Jordan was born and raised in Wisconsin. Shortly after college, seeking a new adventure, she travelled to Alaska and never looked back. She now calls Anchorage her home. She earned a Bachelor’s degree in Social Work and a Graduate Certificate in Gerontology. Mary has worked with and advocated for elders in many capacities for the past 14 years. She enjoys reading, travelling, gardening and all things outdoors.
ELDER SERVICE APPLICATIONS
Max Lestenkof, Patient Advocate, 907-222-4223 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Ashley Withrow, Elder Program Coordinator, 907-222-9721 or email@example.com
Mary Jordan, RSVP Liaison, 907-222-4244 or firstname.lastname@example.org